Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Thanksgiving Week Meals

     It's the week of Thanksgiving and everyone is busy talking Turkey.  As understandable as that is, we have to eat Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, too.

     Last week I picked up a pork loin marked down to around $4.  It was about 2 1/2 lbs and going out of date.  I cut it into chunks and tossed it in the deep freezer to use later.  Well, later turned out to be yesterday.  With the help of this fabulous recipe for Porkolt (Hungarian Stew) I was able to throw together a lovely dinner in about a half hour.  I cut the recipe in half and instead of putting everything in a stock pot, I used my crockpot.



     It turned out to be a delicious meal on a cold night.  My teenage son even raved about how much he loved it and asked if I would please add it to my cookbook.  Score!

     Tonight we are having leftover Beef Stew with Barley.  I always make far more than I need and store 1 or 2 tupperware in the deep freezer for days like this.  Just pull one out and pop it in the crockpot.  (I plan to do the same with the Porkolt in the future.)

     Wednesday will be a soup and grilled cheese night.  I will bring out a tupperware of one of my premade stews and toss it in the crockpot.  Grilled cheese is a snap on the griddle - and easy clean up too.

     Three nights of simple dinners to beat the cold weather and allow me plenty of time for Thanksgiving prep.  Yay!  I hope your week is going as smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment