Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Cleaning the LORD's House

     How do you view your housekeeping?  Tedious chore?  Necessary evil?  A blessing from God?  I'm guessing that last choice probably sounds crazy to some people.  I can understand feeling that way.  I used to feel that way.  Two things completely changed how I feel about housework.  The Bible and a wonderful app that keeps me organized.  (I will share the app on Friday.)  Oh, I know... yawn, snooze, snore.  Please not another sermon about the Proverbs 31 woman!  I get it.  But that's really not where I am going here.

     It is so easy to focus on what we don't want to do in this world, or what we would rather being doing than what we have to do.  Today is my ironing day.  Definitely not my favorite chore.  I also need to get my son out of bed in just a little while to start the daily ritual.  It's also trash day.  The pets need to be fed.  The beds need to be made.  And all I really want to do today is sort through Ravelry to find a knitting pattern - or six - and then maybe go for a long walk through the woods to enjoy the lovely autumn weather.  Except I just remembered that I also need to catch up on the reading for my son's literature class.  See how easy it is to get bogged down in thinking about what we want vs. what we don't want?



     Colossians 3:23 tells us "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the LORD, not for human masters".   The simple truth is that God cares.  And this is His house.  He is just allowing me to live in it.  And my family are His children.  He is just allowing me to take care of them for Him.  And suddenly...

     My husband's crisply ironed shirts might help him make a good impression on his boss and make his day just a tiny bit easier.  I remember that God blessed me with the ability to homeschool my son and share with him knowledge that he might not otherwise receive, and getting him out of bed starts that experience.  The trash is an opportunity for my son to learn responsibility and improve his work ethic.  The pets are a blessing that God placed in my life, and I remember that they will be happy and healthy because of those fresh vegetables.  Tonight, the bed will feel extra good when I slide between the smooth sheets and get comfy instead of wrestling with a tangled mess of covers.  The book I have to read is actually very exciting.  And I'll just bet that I still get a lovely walk and some time to knit even after all of my chores are done.  And maybe, just maybe God will look down and smile when he sees one of His children happily hard at work as He meant for us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment