Friday, May 13, 2016

The Bright Outdoors Solar Lantern



     We are only a couple of weeks away from hurricane season.  You know… that time of year when you realize that the kids used all of your ‘D’ batteries in the old boombox they found when they were bored during winter break. 

     Before you know it, the internet and local news stations will be bombarding you with hurricane preparedness information.  They will have long lists telling you how much water you should have on hand and reminding you to buy plywood and batteries for the flashlight – before the National Hurricane Center starts issuing warnings for your area. 

     I’ve been preparing for hurricanes since I was tall enough to hold the nails for my grandpa while he was boarding up the house.  I survived Andrew, Charley and Wilma along with countless other storms that didn’t make the history books.  And this year I am doing something different. 

     Forget about the flashlights and candles.  Instead of all that stuff, I decided to test out the bright outdoors solar lantern from www.thebrightoutdoors.com.  I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect because I haven’t had a lot of experience with solar power.  It turns out that this is a brilliant item.  It can be charged during the day by setting it out in the sun.  Then, when evening rolls around, you just open it up and turn it on.  It will provide up to 10 hours of light from a full charge.

     There is a regular light setting and a bright setting, as well as an SOS signal that it will flash.  In a pinch, you can also use it to charge your electronic device.  It’s as bright as any flashlight I have and can be used like a flashlight while it’s flat, or as a lantern when you open it up.  It works sitting on a table, or there is a small handle so you can hang it if you prefer.

     This item would be ideal for camping or any other outdoor activity after sunset.  I’ve used it when I take my dog for his bedtime walk and it’s a great option for that.  The possibilities are unlimited.  Anywhere you need light; this lantern is there.  It’s small enough to keep in a purse or the center console of your vehicle.

     Personally, I intend to purchase two more of them so that each family member has one in the event of a power outage or any other need.   After all, you don’t have to wait for the power to go out.  Who knows why you might like to have a small, portable lantern on hand.  And if it’s a rainy day, feel free to plug it in using a USB cord.  It really is an exceptionally versatile product.

No comments:

Post a Comment