Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Time For a Break!

     I love my life. I'm a stay at home mother who homeschools a teenage boy. It's a terrific challenge and always interesting. I get the opportunity to share my favorite books with him - from classic literature, down to crazy zombie stories that would entertain most teenage boys today. We use the kitchen to learn cool science facts and we use the computer to make sure we don't miss some of the more mundane necessities of scientific study. It's a great experience and I feel very blessed to be a part of it.

     Just to be sure that things stay exciting when we aren't studying, there's bowling. Don't think that's the most exciting sport? You haven't watched a grudge match between Pete Weber, Jr. and Walter Ray Williams, Jr. Those guys are a hoot! Not to mention, we've never been rained out and handicaps really give each child a chance - without making it an "everyone wins" kind of event. Really, I could write an entire blog post on the subject of why bowling is actually an optimal sport for kids.

     As for me, I'm thrilled to find that the hiking trails in my community have re-opened after being closed down for more than 2 months. I finally got the chance to try out my new hiking boots that I received for Christmas. What a wonderful way to start out the spring!

     Of course, we've all heard about the dangers of having too much of a good thing. My first memory of that phrase dates back to a Halloween candy bucket when I was a young child. Enough said? Yeah. We've all been there. We love our life and it's terrific, but even the best things in life can get to be a bit much at times.  And everyone can sometimes use a break - even from the best of things.

     It's time for our annual standardized testing and once testing is completed, the following days are slated for catching up and focusing on any school areas where my son is having difficulties. That puts the kibosh on extra time for hiking.  Which, to be honest, is probably for the best.  When the trails opened, I walked 8 miles in two days with zero preparation after a lazy winter.  Whatever belly ache that bucket of Halloween candy might have caused, I have as much misery in my legs right now caused by that same old deadly sin - gluttony.

     So, I've decided it's time for a bit of rest and relaxation.  That's why I purchased a hand woven hammock swing to hang under the shade tree in front of my home.  I can't think of a better way to relieve the stress of our busy homeschooling schedule and give my legs a break from the hiking trails than by relaxing in a comfy swing under a recently winter bare tree that's now loaded with spring blossoms.

     I'm imagining the peace and tranquility of sitting in my Cotton Rope Swing Chair after the noise and chaos of another extra bowling practice.  The noise and atmosphere of the local bowling alley will wear on even the sturdiest of parents after 10+ hours per week in that environment. This year it will be a pleasure knowing that I'm coming home to relax in the yard with a good book.  If only I could find a place to put my sweet tea while I sit in the swing...  Oh well.  The peace and solitude will be worth the lack of a beverage.  Did you notice how it's a one person seat?  Now that's tranquility.

No comments:

Post a Comment